Featured Image Description: Vegetable and pineapple cake topped with sliced pineapple on top of a plate.
BY: JOSIE CALOMA
Have your cake and feel good about it! Josie’s recipe creates a cake full of vegetables and there is also a recipe for a Greek salad to accompany your cake!
1 box of Betty Crocker white cake mix
2 medium zucchinis
1 large carrot
1 medium can sliced pineapple
- Shred the apple, zucchini, and carrot in a large mixing bowl.
- Add cake mix, 3 eggs, zucchini, carrots, and apple into the bowl. Mix all together.
- Place a layer of sliced pineapple at the bottom of a pan with some of the pineapple juice from the can.
- Pour the cake mixture into the pan and spread evenly.
- Place the lid on the pan and place on the stove on medium heat for approximately 12 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low heat and let it cook for another 15 or so minutes.
- Check the cake with a toothpick or fork to test that the cake is fully cooked.
1 large cucumber
½ red onion
½ of a small jar of pitted black olives
½ of a block of feta cheese
A pinch of oregano
2 tablespoons of olive oil
A pinch of salt
- Slice the tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion into a bowl. Crumble the feta cheese on top.
- Sprinkle oregano and add olive oil and salt.
- Mix all together and serve.
Image Description: (Top) Uncooked vegetable and pineapple cake mix in a metal bowl (Bottom Left) Baked vegetable cake in a pan (Bottom Center) Unmixed Greek salad in a salad bowl (Bottom Right) Mixed Greek salad in a salad bowl
Josie Caloma is a volunteer with BIST.