American Physician Dr. VanWingen has begun sharing tips on staying safe during the COVID-19 Pandemic on Social Media. You can check out his website, HERE for the most up-to-date information.
Watch Dr. VanWingen’s tips on sanitizing groceries during the Pandemic in the video below.
- COVID-19 is NOT a foodborne illness.
- Spend less time Grocery Shopping: figure out what you need and make a list beforehand, try to buy 2 weeks of groceries if possible and commit to buy (don’t linger reading labels, pick up an item and put it in your cart.)
- If possible, an easy way to sanitize your groceries is to simply put all non-perishable items in a safe place you don’t touch for 3 days. After 3 days, if the virus had been on the packaging, it will have died out.
- Otherwise, outside packing (such as cereal boxes) can be contaminated. Throw out packaging immediately, store items in plastic bags inside containers (which have not been touched by human hands recently) or pour into your own containers. Wash hands thoroughly.
- Produce should be washed thoroughly – soap is not needed.
- For the time being, it is preferable to use plastic bags as opposed to cloth. If you use cloth, store them in an area you do not touch for at least three days.